Sunday is upon us once again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with some music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past week and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for Sunday and a final thought to ponder for the week ahead.
And before anyone says ‘it’s not morning now’, blame England. Sore head today!
Shaw completes redemption in Rome
There was a delicious irony about Luke Shaw delivering one of the best performances of his career for England at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday.
Rome will be Jose Mourinho’s new home next season and even the former Manchester United manager must have been impressed with Shaw’s display.
Mourinho was no fan of Shaw during their time together at Old Trafford and he has continued to criticise him since leaving United.
The Portuguese will probably believe his tough love helped unlock Shaw’s potential, but the full-back deserves all the credit for how he has turned his career around.
Barcelona’s Messi obsession makes no sense
The news that Barcelona are still trying to persuade Lionel Messi to sign a new contract smacks of a club that is completely obsessed with the Argentinian international.
Messi is currently a free agent after the expiry of his latest deal, but Barca are doing everything within their power to convince him to stay at the Nou Camp.
There has been talk that players are being asked to drop their salaries to accommodate Messi, while the club are keen to offload several members of their squad.
With Messi in their team Barca haven’t won La Liga since 2018/19 and the Champions League since 2014/15. Their obsession with him has become unhealthy.
The week that was
Searching for the best football writing from the past week? Check these out:
- England played like a dream but this is reality for Southgate’s assured side.
- How it took Spurs 72 days and six candidates to make a hire.
- It’s completely unfair that football fans can flout COVID-19 rules.
Today’s top tune
The last year and a bit has been extremely challenging, with people who work in the entertainment industry hit particularly hard.
Scottish band Neon Waltz were starting to get noticed after securing support slots with Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, but the pandemic halted their progress.
Hopefully, the guys can pick up where they left off when they tour later this year. A support slot with The Levellers in December should also help their cause.
A final thought
Crystal Palace have finally found a replacement for Roy Hodgson, with former Arsenal star Patrick Vieira appointed as the club’s new manager. It’s not going to end well, is it?
- History of football at the Olympics
- Five Famous Hollywood Football Fans
- Manchester United agree £41m fee with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane
- Manchester United receive huge boost in pursuit of Saul Niguez
- Ben White set to undergo medical with Arsenal
- Arsenal leading the race for Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham
- Crystal Palace close to signing Lyon defender Joachim Andersen
- Morning Mix: Carragher’s take on Wijnaldum is brainless, Tottenham turning things around
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho