Harry Redknapp and QPR suffer a huge blow in their push for promotion as top scorer Charlie Austin faces a long spell out.
Charlie Austin has clearly been Qpr’s main man bagging 14 goals in 24 appearances in this season’s Championship campaign but on Tuesday 28th January in a league match against Bolton the 24 year old suffered a harsh shoulder injury which will keep him out for a lengthy time.
During the first half in the R’s 2-1 victory over the Trotters, the Englishman landed awkwardly forcing the club physio to come on and have a look but Austin dismissed any initial scares by carrying on leading him to scoring the opening goal of the game with a header in the 41st minute. He continued through the second half before signalling that he couldn’t continue any further with the match approaching the 70th minute mark, obviously feeling the pain and knowing that he had to come off.
Dr Peter Florida, the club’s head doctor confirmed to the official website that Charlie had gone for a scan on Wednesday afternoon and it had shown bad signs that he had endured an injury to his shoulder that would require surgery and also that he would start his rehabilitation immediately but still likely to be facing an extended period sidelined.
Austin added: “I’m obviously desperately disappointed. Injuries are part and parcel of football but I was really enjoying my football so it’s a bitter blow. “I’ll work tirelessly in my rehabilitation to make sure I return as quickly as possible and in the meantime, support the lads as we continue to push for promotion.”
In the transfer season, Harry Redknapp is usually a lot more busier around about this time in the window but with no ins yet and plenty of outs that matter is sure to change with Austin’s injury and the deadline edging nearer. Qpr have been linked with moves for many strikers over the past few days to fill the missing striker role, with reports suggesting that St Johnstone’s Stevie May and also Guilherme Dellatorre, the 21 year old Brazilian Aletico Paranaense forward could well be on their way into the club.
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Champions League last-16 predictions: Manchester City, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich favourites to w…
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Girona – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Roma vs Inter Milan – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- West Ham’s Said Benrahma on the verge of completing Lyon move
- Preview: Liverpool vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Carabao Cup semi-final second leg preview: Chelsea host Middlesbrough, Liverpool take on Fulham
- Promoted Trio In Danger Of Instant Championship Return