Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand has heaped praise on Real Madrid stalwart Sergio Ramos amid contractual uncertainty in the Spanish capital.
According to the Daily Express, Ferdinand holds Ramos in high esteem and rates him amongst the greatest defenders ever.
A natural-born winner, the Spaniard has enjoyed an illustrious career, winning everything there is to win in football.
During his trophy-laden 16-year spell at the Santiago Bernabeu, the famous defender has lifted 22 major titles, including four UEFA Champions League crowns and five La Liga titles.
Ramos was also part of the Spain national team to win two European Championships and the World Cup.
Retired United centre-back Ferdinand believes the former Sevilla man has the capacity to carry his teams forward and be an influential figure whenever required.
Speaking ahead of Madrid’s first-leg clash against Liverpool in their Champions League quarter-final tie on Tuesday, the Englishman singled out Ramos as the essential part of Los Blancos’ success in the past decade.
“Ramos is the character – he is the talisman at this football club,” Ferdinand said on BT Sport, as relayed by the Daily Express.
“He not only defends but scores goals for them as well – he does everything. On big occasions, he has always stepped up.”
The 35-year-old knows in-depth about winning the titles and boasts a certain mindset the Red Devils have lacked since Sir Alex Ferguson’s departure.
Even though he would only be a short-term solution, Ramos could be the catalyst to sway the Premier League title race in United’s favour next season.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is searching for a high-profile defender to partner Harry Maguire in 2021/22, and who better than the man who captained his side to three consecutive Champions League trophies.
Ramos has just a few months left on his contract in Madrid and could be leaving the capital after amassing over 710 appearances in the coveted white jersey.
Despite his age, the Spanish superstar would be a massive addition to any side that could secure his signature, as Ferdinand pinpoints the former’s attributes.
“He has to be up there with the best,” Ferdinand added.
“With what he has done in the game as well, it is not just about his performances but winning.
“He is a relentless winner and he has got that character. When the big moments come, he has always stood up.”
In addition to Ramos, United are also keen on recruiting Raphael Varane, who could leave Spain after ten years.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit