The day Newcastle were relegated at the Villa Park still remains one of the worst days of my life, despite residing in India I consider myself a Geordie feeding off the passions of Tyneside. It is not easy being a Newcastle fan and looking back, in hindsight relegation was not the worst thing in the world, it gave us the opportunity to wipe our slate clean and get rid of high wage earning parasites, the spineless performance at Villa Park when only needing a point to survive was extremely painful to watch.
A true fan never changes his loyalties and despite limited tv coverage I stood by my team in the championship, it was refreshing to watch team spirit, effort and a solid developing nucleus in the team. Mike Ashley is not the most popular guy but he does know how to run a business, despite his many faults the guy saved us from sure adminstration[courtesy Freddy Shepherd]. It is a well known logic that one must live within its own means but common sense and Newcastle United hardly go hand in hand.
He has managed the books and brought us to the verge of selfsufficiency , our net gains from transfers has been immense both in a footballing and financial sense and your scouting staff is the envy of the Premier League. Last but not the least is Alan Pardew, sacking Houghton was tough but Pardew has taken us to another level, his ability to deal with outgoing transfers and get the best out of his squad puts him on a different pedestal. Severe challenges lie ahead in our ability to retain our core group, but the management is definitely learning, our ability to keep transfer targets secret is unbelievable in the modern context. There will be ups and downs but a future built on solid foundations will always be successful.
The following equation personifies our transfer success: Carrol-35 mill = Cabaye+Tiote+Ba+Cisse+Santon+Obertan+Ben Arfa
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona
- Manchester United keen to sign Christian Eriksen on a free transfer
- Darren Bent offers his view on Liverpool’s interest in Paul Pogba
- 2021/22 Champions League end of season awards: Best player, best manager, and more
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently