Following Sol Campbell’s disgraceful act of treachery way back in 2001, a defensive void at the club was created. The club needed a leader, a defensive rock and a hero- a player that could influence others and be respected by all in return. Players like this aren’t easy to come by, but we were fortunate. For Ledley King was willing to step into the breach.
- A great servant to the club, a great player and a great man
In an era where players are criticised for moving too frequently and showing too little loyalty, Ledley King should be an example to all. He has been at Tottenham ever since he was a boy, and has gone on to make over 200 professional appearances. Had it not been for injury, King would have probably have made a number more appearances for Tottenham, but numerous pulls and strains and a worrying chronic knee problem have taken their toil on King’s career, and have stopped him from becoming one of the best defenders in the world. When he is fit and on form, he is definitely up their with the best centre-backs, but his knee injury prevents him from playing more than two games a week and other, similar injuries have prevented his international career from ever really taking off.
Nevertheless, King has always done his best to play through the injuries. He is such a crucial figure for Spurs, always leading by example and it’s hard to imagine Tottenham without him. His indomitable presence during the Carling Cup final against Chelsea was one of the games deciding factors and his partnership with Jonathan Woodgate has blossomed in recent months. He might suffer from the injuries, but King is still so very important to Spurs. At 28 and with the problems her suffers, his career is probably coming to an end but King Ledley deserves recognition for his loyalty, ability and bravery. A true Tottenham hero if there ever was one and our very own Captain Fantastic.
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona
- Manchester United keen to sign Christian Eriksen on a free transfer
- Darren Bent offers his view on Liverpool’s interest in Paul Pogba
- 2021/22 Champions League end of season awards: Best player, best manager, and more
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season