If reports in the leading English papers are to be believed, the effect of the rehabilitation in the United States had a miraculous effect on Wayne Rooney. The striker arrived back at United’s training ground last weekend, and it has also been reported on the official website ManUtd.com that Rooney lost almost half a stone in weight and looks to have regained his energy after the ankle injury layoff. Manchester United fans are hoping to see Rooney back in action against Wigan this weekend for the first game played since Rooney agreed to receive a quarter of a million in salary every week for the next 5 years.
While he was training in Oregon at the Nike Headquarters, Rooney was following a special tailor-made training schedule, including a diet plan, to ensure that he returns to full fitness and be ready to go straight into the Manchester United line-up as soon as possible. United would have preferred to work on Rooney’s fitness in the summer, but this had to be postponed until last week due to the World Cup. As a result of this, Rooney has missed 13 of the 20 United games played this season. Rooney missed the England friendly against France in order to continue working on his comeback at the club’s training ground in Carrington. The fruit of this should be seen when United take on Wigan Athletic, with the manager expecting a return from Rooney in the form of goals. A ‘United source’ quoted on the official website was reported by The Sun commenting:
“It’s the talk of the place how hard Wayne was worked out there. He was far from being overweight but he is now nicely tuned up again after the extended lay-off and injury problems. The gaffer and his staff knew exactly what they were doing and now they are expecting it to pay rich rewards.”
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…