Mark Hughes has joined Stoke City to try to replace Tony Pulis and change the playing style of the high, strong Stoke City. Although he didn’t had so much success in the past with failing to reach the potential that Manchester City could’ve reached and than saving QPR from relegation but the season after that he failed to register a win with 16 games since the start of the season.
When Mark Hughes joined the Potters at May 30th his appointment wasn’t so popular for the Stoke fans and they felt it was the wrong decision, but the board were sure that to be able to make the change from aggressive game that Tony Pulis created during his 7-year reign at Brittania Stadium the change need to be fast and they stood by their manager (a thing that is very common in the modern English game).
Hughes’ Stoke faced Liverpool in the first game of the season but their game which finally saw them connect a pass or two on the ground and not a long ball towards Petr Crouch they’ve lost 1-0.
Hughes faced further tough months in the Stoke hot seat and faced relegation when his team were in the 19th place in January, but the second half of the season was a different story for the Potters, Hughes’ men started a run which saw them finish in the 9th place which is their highest ever finish in a Barclays Premier League season, and with 50 points which is their highest total of points in a Premier League season.
Hughes also registered some great wins at the Brittania Stadium with a dramatic 3-2 win over Chelsea, 1-0 over Arsenal and 2-1 over Manchester United. Stoke City, with the players that are reportedly coming into the squad might as well finish higher and even reach the Europa League places.
Mark Hughes has done a great job in terms of changing the team’s philosophy and may make Stoke City a force to be wrecking with in the coming years.
- Sunday Premier League Preview: Matchday 15
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte