When Nicklas Bendtner started against Hull City, almost everyone looked for another bad performance by the Great Dane who would struggle to keep the ball. He also talked about leaving Arsenal in hunt for more playing time and talked about playing with Barcelona and Real Madrid.
He rather silenced everyone in the second minute by putting away a header into the back of the net making it 1–0 to Arsenal. The goal was one of three shots giving him a 33% shots to goal ratio, while one of his other efforts resulted in a narrow miss with the effort going just wide.
He was also respectable in the air, winning three of five, or 60% of his attempted headers. He used his ability in the air well, which helped Arsenal’s build up play. Bendtner’s pass completion was also high, especially for a centre forward. He completed 79% of passes in Wednesday’s encounter with one of those being a key pass. He was also seen moving up and down the pitch trying to influence the game with his performance.
For a player talking about leaving the club and only playing 13 minutes max as a substitute in other games it must has been a really impressive performance. He also managed to display a good performance against Manchester City and even net in a goal which was ruled offside, though replays showed the Great Dane was onside.
If Bendtner is working as hard in training as Wenger implies, and he can play in the same manner he did against the Tigers and Manchester City, there is no reason why Arsenal can’t keep their money in their pocket and utilize the Dane as their backup centre forward. They would have good cover for Oliver Giroud with Bendtner and Yaya Sanogo. Arsenal could use this money to capture other high profile marquee signings like that of Julian Draxler or other targets unknown.
- Harry Kane refusing to train as he forces move away from Tottenham
- The Five Best Football Transfer Windows
- Barcelona make enquiry about Italian midfielder Manuel Locatelli
- Morning Mix: Liverpool risk being left behind, £100m for Grealish is a great deal for Villa
- History of football at the Olympics
- Five Famous Hollywood Football Fans
- Manchester United agree £41m fee with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane
- Manchester United receive huge boost in pursuit of Saul Niguez
- Ben White set to undergo medical with Arsenal
- Arsenal leading the race for Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham