Â Young Stoke striker Adam Rooney has been allowed to go on trial at SPL Inverness Caledonian Thistle with a view to a season long loan move. The Irish striker first featured in the Stoke first team in the latter part of the 2005/2006 season, scoring four goals, including a hat-trick at Brighton in Stoke’s 5-1 win on the final day of the season. He is the youngest ever player to have scored a hat-trick for the Potters. The twenty year old also scored City’s third in the 3-0 friendly victory over Newcastle Town yesterday.
Â However, despite his bright start, Adam has found first team opportunities hard to come by and spent the majority of the 2006/2007 season on loan at Yeovil and last term had spells at League Two sides Chesterfield and Bury, particularly impressing at Chesterfield,Â scoring six times in 22 appearances for the Saltergate club, many from the wing.
Â Tony Pulis clearly feels that although Rooney has potential, he is not yet ready to perform on the biggest stage and another season spent on loan, perhaps at a slightly higher level than previously, would aid his development. I, and I am sure the majority of Stoke fans, would share this view, as we have rarely yet seen much quality from Rooney recently, following his early promise. I would hope Rooney willÂ get amongst the goalsÂ during his time in Scotland, and will come back a better player for it.
Â As I reported previously, the club also confirmed today that Demar Phillips is on trial at Oldham and Ryan Shotton and Richie De Laet are at Bournemouth, all with views to completing loan moves.Â
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach