Arsenal have been handed a devastating blow as defender Kieran Tierney has been ruled out for four to six weeks with a ligament problem.
The Scot joined the North London club in the summer of 2019 and has gone on to become one of the club’s most important players.
His contribution at both ends of the pitch makes him a threat and the team will surely miss him.
The full-back suffered the injury against Liverpool on Saturday. Arsenal’s official website have confirmed that Tierney will not need any surgery on his knee, but the youngster will be out for four to six weeks leaving the Gunners short-handed in defence.
Tierney joins veteran centre back David Luiz on the injured list as both of them will be missing for a few weeks.
As the club heads into the business end of the season, it is not ideal to have two of the best defenders in the team out with injury.
Both Luiz and Tierney have turned Arsenal into a more solid outfit. There are a couple of options that Arteta can choose from to fill the void left by the full-back.
The most likely solution is that right- back Cedric takes up a spot on the other flank. He has done well there earlier so shouldn’t find it difficult.
The other option would be to play youngster Bukayo Saka who also has experience of playing in this position.
It will also depend on what formation the manager decides to go with. Doing this will rob the team of one of their best attacking outlets.
The youngster is quite versatile which would make the boss happy in knowing that he also has that card to play.
These tough decisions will have to be made with games coming thick and fast for Arsenal.
Thursday will be a test of the squad as they get ready to host Slavia Prague in the Europa League quarter-finals and need to put up a strong showing.
Arteta will want to win the Europa League as that gives them an automatic Champions League slot.
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…