It has only been a few days since Wolverhampton Wanderers had a bid, believed to be in the region of £1.5m, rejected for Hearts captain Christophe Berra. However, this has not stopped Rangers from launching an audacious bid that is £500k below the original Wolves bid and £1M below what Hearts value the recently capped centre half.
Hearts supporters will be hoping that if Berra leaves for England, he stays in England. Andy Webster, the former Hearts defender who officially signed for Rangers yesterday, originally attracted the interest of the Glasgow side towards the end of his spell at Tynecastle. However, he ended up doing a Webster and buying out the final two years of his contract, paving a move to Wigan. He then returned north only four months later on loan, raising suspicion that the move was designed so that Ibrox would be Webster’s evental destination.
However, the same suspicions cannot be raised about Andrius Velicka’s proposed move to Rangers. In what was a very poor season for Hearts last season, Velicka’s goal scoring was among the few highlights. His £1M sale to Norwegian side Viking Stavanger during the second half of the season caused anger in some sections of the Hearts support.
Velicka could be a Rangers player by the time the new season kicks-off but there can be no question of a conspiricy this time. Instead it would be down to nothing other than bad business by Mr Romanov. To sell your top scorer, and arguably best player for such a small fee, when many believed that a club in England would have paid more for the Lithuanian international, was a big mistake and may come back to haunt the Jambos.
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak