Barcelona defender Dani Alves has announced his departure this summer through Instagram.
The 39-year-old made a shocking return to Camp Nou on a free transfer last November, getting registered for the first team in January.
The legendary full-back appeared for 14 La Liga games, and he showed everyone that he has still got it with some impressive performances – the standout one was against Atletico Madrid.
His future has been subject to speculation in recent times, with his contract expiring this month.
The Catalan giants have decided against an extension, while Alves also penned an emotional farewell on social media.
The Brazilian wrote: “Dear cules… Now it’s time to say goodbye. It was 8+ years dedicated to this club, to those colors… but like everything in life, the years go by, the paths deviate and the stories are written for sometime in different places – and so it was.
“They tried to send me away but they couldn’t do it, for you cannot imagine, or can you, how resilient I am. Many years passed until football and life which as always, are very grateful to those who respect them, decided to give me the opportunity to come back here so I can say goodbye. But not a goodbye without first thanking everyone behind the spotlight, everyone who makes our thing perfect, to all of them; THANK YOU.
“I would also like to thank all the staff for the opportunity they gave me to return to this club and be able to wear again that wonderful shirt, you don’t know how happy I am…. I hope you don’t miss my madness and my daily happiness.
“I hope also those who stay change the history of that beautiful club, I wish it from the bottom of my heart. There were 23 titles achieved: 2 triplets, 1 sixteen and a big golden book written! A very beautiful cycle closes and a more challenging cycle opens. May the world never forget: A LION EVEN AT 39 YEARS OLD IS STILL A GOOD CRAZY LEONNNN. Forever LONG LIVE BARÇA!”
Not only for age concerns, but Barca might have left Alves behind due to the presence of Sergi Roberto and Sergino Dest at the right-back position, with the former recently penning a one-year extension.
Furthermore, the Blaugrana are targeting Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta in the transfer window, with Xavi keen on working with his compatriot.
- Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United preview, prediction & team news
- New Face of Adidas Predator Boots – Are They Moving Beyond Nostalgia as a Selling Point?￼
- ￼What modifications have been made to Premier League rules in 2023/24?
- The Rise and Effectiveness of the 4-3-3 Formation in Modern Football
- Serie A: Juventus vs Inter Milan Preview and Prediction
- Best games to watch during the international break
- The Most Innovative Treatments for Football Injuries
- Best EFL Cup games to watch this week
- European Championship 2024: November qualifiers preview
- Top Five Bets For Premier League Weekend