Local reports this morning suggest Liverpool have turned down a Â£9million offer for England international Peter Crouch. It is said that Liverpool manager Benitez, is wanting an offer closer to Â£15 million for the 27 year old star. Redknapp however is refusing to pay over the odds for the former Pompey striker, who also enjoyed spells at Aston Villa, Southampton and QPR respectively.
Redknapp said, “It’s known I like Crouchie but I think Liverpool want a bit too much money for him,” Redknapp would only be prepared to pay Â£10 million at most as he tries to build a squad capable of performing well in League and Cup competition next season.
Redknapp admitted that if a deal couldn’t be resolved, he would look to other options, most notably Eidur Gudjohnsen who has constantly been linked in recent weeks. In response to Liverpool’s asking price, the Portsmouth manager said, “If that’s the case, then we’ll move on to the next option.”
Portsmouth were said to have offered an initial payment of Â£7 million, with Â£2 million pounds being paid based on appearances for the club and country. Redknapp sees Crouch as the perfect strike partner for Pompey hit-man Jermain Defoe as he aims to create a ‘little and large’ partnership.
Many fans would love to see ‘Crouchie’ sign for the club again after enjoying a previous spell at the club in the 01/02 season where he notched up an impressive 18 goals in 37 appearances. Although the lanky forward had a brief stint at bitter South Coast rivals Southampton, many Pompey fans are willing to forget and forgive and see it as a slight ‘mishap’ in his career.
Unfortunately I do not see Redknapp backing down, I believe he will look to other options if a deal cannot be done for Crouch. We have to hope that Benitez will back down and accept the original offer, otherwise Crouch may not make his long awaited return back to the club which put him on the map.
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary