Football website Caught Offside has linked Manchester United with Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi and claims that the Red Devils will make a bid for his services in January when the winter transfer window opens. Sir Alex Ferguson is known to be generally reluctant to conclude any January business, but if the right deal comes along to bring the Italian to Old Trafford and strengthen the club’s midfield, the website believes United would take it. One key issues would be De Rossi’s inability to play any part of the second phase of the UEFA Champions League as he is already cup-tied after appearing for Roma.
The website argues that the midfielder is looking elsewhere for football as his side Roma started the season badly. Last season, Roma finished runners-up in Serie A but the first six matches of the 2010/11 season have been very disappointing. The team drew 0-0 against Cesena, lost heavily by 5-1 to Cagliari, drew 2-2 against Bologna, lost 2-1 against Brescia, won 1-0 against Champions Inter, and lost 2-0 against Napoli in the Derby del Sole. This is De Rossi’s ninth season at Roma, five of which he helped them rank runners-up, and the website reports that he is set to look for a new challenge. De Rossi is a powerfully built player and would help United retain possession. Whether reports are to be believed and whether this move would someday materialise, remain to be seen, especially when Manchester City and Chelsea are also suitors for the player. It is estimated that the midfieler has a value of around £26 million.
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch
- Mbappé and Foden to Hložek and Malen: The best young talents to keep an eye on in every side at the …
- David Wagner close to being appointed West Brom manager
- Gareth Southgate getting it right on racism as England manager
- Ilkay Gundogan on the radar of Barcelona
- Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur in race to sign Gianluigi Donnarumma