At Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science, England were drawn in to Group G of the Euro 2012 Qualifiers. Alongside them in the group are neighbours Wales, Bulgaria, Montengro and fellow 2010 World Cup qualifiers Switzerland in a five team group.
England were last grouped with the Welsh in qualification for the 2006 World Cup. The last time the met was in Cardiff when England won 1-0 thanks to a lone Joe Cole goal.
Talking about England’s group manager Fabio Capello said:
“All four opponents are really dangerous, Wales will be my first derby as manager of an international team. It will be interesting. They are really young but the value of the players is high. I prefer a smaller group because we have less games but the group is very tough. Switzerland qualified for the World Cup, they are one of the best teams. I remember when I played against them it was not easy to win away. I have big confidence in my team and I am sure we will play a fantastic qualifying tournament for 2012.”
Fourteen spots are available at the finals, along with co-hosts Poland and Ukraine, for Euro 2012 which will run from June 8th to July 1st 2012. The first qualifiers will be played in September 2012 with the last in October 2011. The nine group winners, will be joined by the runner-up with the best record and four playoff winners, from games played over two legs in November 2011.
As mentioned above the qualifiers for 2012 don’t start until after this summer’s World Cup in South Africa, so England’s attentions will be focused their first.
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 4