England’s recent friendly result against Italy was important in one respect; it showed that Hodgson does have some ambition to form an England team which can pass the ball and move freely as a cohesive unit which bodes well for Brazil 2014.
At the Euros, England were in a footballing straitjacket: two rigid banks of four with players like Scott Parker sitting in front of the defence was never going to be conducive to a pass and move game.
The Italy friendly saw Carrick in place of Parker. Carrick retains possession in tight situations and removes the air of panic that surrounded England at the Euros. The deep position should be that of a passer rather than a destroyer, illustrated by Pirlo’s majestic tournament at the Euros. Parker is merely a defensive screen not enough at international level.
When the England team sheet came out it immediately looked fresher and more mobile. Cleverly, Carrick and Johnson are a far better bet than the likes of Parker and Milner who looked woefully out of their depth at the Euros. Good footballers’ were replaced with genuinely technical footballers’.
Defoe showed with his wonder goal how he is another player that has long been badly underestimated. Adam Johnson and Defoe should now establish themselves as fixtures in the side.
England started Euro 2012 as a much fancied 10/1 outside bet with the various online casinos. As much as they left the tournament with credibility half in tact they could and should have achieved more with a slightly more adventurous outlook. Hodgson’s rigid 4-4-2 was severely restrictive and left England swamped in the middle of the park.
England must now be looking to move to something more along the lines of a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. Hodgson seems to put little stock in the importance of systems, which is a worry, but if England can build some kind of passing midfield force it’s at least a step in the right direction. If you don’t feel confident about betting on the football, why not Visit here and begin your gaming career with Casino games. With an instant win and fixed odds you know what you are going to get back before you place your bet, making it easier to tell whether it is worth it or not.
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch