The current Premier League leaders Manchester United face Reading in the FA Cup Fifth Round at Old Trafford this Monday. Manchester United are chasing their first FA Cup in nine years while Reading are chasing their first ever FA Cup title. Manchester United who recently drew 1-1 with Spanish giants Real Madrid in mid-week to gain an away goal advantage are major favourites for the cup clash. Briefly looking at the stats United have only conceded one goal in their last five FA Cup matches at Old Trafford and have won their last 15 of their 19 home ties at the Manchester fortress.
Checking the odds on the match (https://sports.bwin.com/en/sports/4/betting/football) a great bet is for four goals to be scored in the game at 4.6; that way you can win if Reading manage a 2-2 draw, win or lose 3-1 or win 4-0, unlikely.. or lose 4-0, perhaps more likely. There have been lots of goals in Reading’s cup games this season, even against quality opposition.
The earlier clash between the two clubs in the Premier League saw seven goals scored in the opening 35 minutes so Reading may cause an upset! Reading who trained at their warm-weathered Dubai training camp this week look to bounce back from their 2-1 loss to Stoke City in the Premier League. Reading boss McDermott mentioned “We want to do well in the cup but our biggest aim is to stay in the Premier League and build from there.” Reading also face United at Old Trafford next month in the Premier League and they hope the trip to Dubai has prepared them for the daunting 75,000 seat Old Trafford stadium.
United are unbeaten in 12 matches against Reading in all competitions and the last time the Red Devils lost to Reading was in 1927 FA Cup. Sir Alex said “We’re looking to go on a run in this year’s competition. After nine years without picking up the trophy it’s important for us this season.” Sir Alex may play his youth for the cup tie as he has to prepare his squad for the Champions League second leg against Real Madrid. This looks to be a highly anticipated cup clash with United being favourites and Reading have nothing to lose.
Both clubs have important Premier League matches with United playing battlers QPR and Reading face Wigan Athletic in two weekends time.
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona