The French come to the Euros with no favourites tag, but they come as underdogs. This group of players would like to emulate the 1984 and 2000 generations, by winning the 2012 campaign. Laurent Blanc takes France into Euro 2012 on a 20-game unbeaten run, which includes victories over Germany, England and Brazil. But the French national team coach is still downplaying his team’s chances. France has not won a tournament finals match since the 2006 World Cup semifinal (it was winless at Euro 2008 and at the 2010 World Cup), and Blanc is quick to point out that France (ranked 16th) is currently listed nine spots lower than its first opponent, England (seventh), in the FIFA world rankings.
They have one of the most talented squad and they would want to prove themselves. The squad consist of nine players that were in the squad that cause a lot of drama in South Africa. Blanc has worked hard with his players to win back support from a French public that vehemently rejected Les Bleus after their strike action at the World Cup. The likes of captain Hugo Lloris, Franck Ribery, Florent Malouda and Patrice Evra are some of the players who would like to prove themselves because they were part of the World Cup squad.
Their opening game against England will be the most important for them to win. The winner of the group is expected between them and England, winning that game will determine who wins the group. Some of their England based players would love to get one over their teammates, the likes of Manchester United Captain Evra, Laurent Koscielny who had a stunning season at Arsenal, and the Newcastle duo of Cabaye and Ben Arfa, not forgetting the Premiership Champions Manchester City
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho
- MP calls for independent regulator for English football
- Manchester City willing to offer Raheem Sterling as part of deal for Harry Kane
- Emile Smith Rowe extends his stay at Arsenal by signing new contract
- Morning Mix: No excuses left for United next season, time to get tough with the racists
- Arsenal reach agreement with Brighton for Ben White
- Manchester City striker completes £11m move to Bundesliga club
- Atletico Madrid confirm signing of Rodrigo de Paul from Udinese
- Euro 2020 Knockouts Review: Italy’s dramatic success, Switzerland’s battles & much m…