Connect with us

Exeter City

Gillingham-Exeter City: Gills Gain Revenge and Move into the Play-offs

After losing 3-0 in the corresponding away fixture a few months back, Gillingham gained revenge over League Two rivals Exeter City with a 1-0 victory at the KRBS Priestfield stadium.

A goal from Adam Miller in the 79th minute was the difference between the two sides, as the Gills move up to fourth in the table after securing their third successive league win.

As usual, Gillingham were determined to get on the front foot right from the off, and they signalled their attacking intent just three minutes in, when John Nutter crossed into the box for Simeon Jackson, only for the striker to head horribly wide.

Exeter found their way soon after though, and had a great chance to score when, albeit against the run of play, Neil Saunders hit a long-range shot that appeared to be going in, only for it to then hit the cross-bar, much to the relief of the Gills players and keeper Simon Royce.

In the 20th minute, Gillingham hit the cross-bar themselves, when a sweet free-kick from Nicky Southall, reminiscent of the one he scored against Millwall last season, cannoned straight off the upright.

The home side had a few more chances before the break, most notably when Andy Barcham blazed over from close range in the 35th minute.

After the break, the Gills again appeared the more dominant, having more possession and carving out more opportunities, although not many clear cut ones.

Gillingham did have the ball in the back of the net on 58 minutes, when Adam Miller converted Nicky Southall’s cross, although he was ruled for offside by the assistant referee.

However, it mattered little as the Gills did eventually take the lead, with Miller again putting the ball in the back of the net, after the stand-in captain converted a Simeon Jackson effort from close range.

On-loan signing Jamie Peters was given his Gillingham debut in the final minutes by manager Mark Stimson, much to the delight of the home fans. The tricky winger didn’t disappoint, as his pure pace and skill bamboozled the weary Exeter defenders in the closing stages.

After the moans and groans by the home fans at the announcement of four additional minutes to be played, Gillingham held on after a barrage of Exeter attacks, to see the game out and secure a much deserved 1-0 win.

It’s a win that now means the Gills move up to fourth in the Coca Cola League Two table, having won their last three games, and now gone unbeaten in twelve league matches.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Exeter City