It has emerged that former Leicester boss Ian Holloway is in the running to take over as manager of Hearts. According to a report in today’s Scottish Daily Express, Holloway’s representative has already held extensive talks with the Edinburgh club and is interested in the position.
Holloway, who has also had spells in management with Bristol Rovers, Queens Park Rangers and Plymouth, has worked under a controversial owner before, when he recently worked for Milan Mandaric at Leicester City, and is also quite outspoken himself. Whether and outspoken manager is something Romanov would welcome or not is not known. “Hearts have spoken to my agent at length and are aware that I am interested in the job. I believe they want to talk to me but they have concerns due to the fact I don’t have my pro-licence, said Holloway.
The fact that Holloway does not have all of his coaching badges yet and is still working on his B licence with the English FA is a slight problem. However, according to the Head of Scotland’s managers and coaches association Alex Smith, neither his association, the SPL nor the SFA would have any objection to the appointment of Holloway. œIf this manager has been working down south for several years in club management that would help his case, if he hasn’t got the required qualifications said Smith, he added œif the manager was experienced we wouldn’t stand in his way, as long as he made a genuine effort to do his badges.
One other problem for Holloway could be his comments in the past. Icelandic club manager Gudjon Thordarson reportedly fell out of the running for the position when he made public comments about interference from owners over matters such as team selection. These following quotes are taken from Ian Holloway’s column on bbc.co.uk/sport.
In December 2006 a Hearts supporter asked Holloway what he thought about the recent events at Tynecastle, he replied: œI tell you what, it’s better than a soap opera up there. That man is making what happened at QPR look boring.
œThere’s some absolutely fantastic players at Hearts and if Mr Romanov wants to loan me some of them, or give me some of them, I’ll be happy to take them off his hands! That’s your worst nightmare as a manager, you wake up and you’ve got an owner who wants to interfere on the management side of things.
œWhen George Burley was there you were winning every week and then the bloke tried to tell him who to pick and George said no, get stuffed.
Shh. No one tell Romanov.
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five
- Match-fixing: When 7 Manchester United and Liverpool players were handed lifetime bans
- La Liga: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla in tight, must-watch title race
- Europa League Semi-Finals Recap: Fernandes steps up in a big game, Emery returns to haunt Arsenal