Barcelona wanted to sign Georginio Wijnaldum this summer and were close to securing the signature of the 30-year-old.
However, Paris Saint-Germain entered the scene and offered the Liverpool player an enormous contract to bring him to France.
The Catalans have made their stance clear that they are not going to increase their offer for the Dutch midfielder, and have already started looking for alternatives.
According to a report from Sport, the Spanish club are interested in signing Ilkay Gundogan from Manchester City.
Barca have been chasing Gundogan since 2015 when he went through a medical but didn’t complete the move. He subsequently joined City in a deal worth £20 million a year later.
Barcelona reportedly want to renew their interest in the talented midfielder whose current contract is set to expire in 2023.
The former Borussia Dortmund player enjoyed a spectacular 2020-21 season, racking up 28 Premier League appearances and scoring 13 goals.
He also played 12 Champions League matches for Pep Guardiola’s side last term, weighing in with another three goals.
Barca will need to make a bumper offer if they are to convince the Citizens to allow their midfielder to leave the Etihad Stadium.
- Tottenham Hotspur will not appoint Gennaro Gattuso as their new manager
- AC Milan sign Fikayo Tomori from Chelsea in £30m deal
- Tactical Analysis: Why Italy seem to be the most well-rounded side in the Euros
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game