Barcelona wanted to sign Georginio Wijnaldum this summer and were close to securing the signature of the 30-year-old.
However, Paris Saint-Germain entered the scene and offered the Liverpool player an enormous contract to bring him to France.
The Catalans have made their stance clear that they are not going to increase their offer for the Dutch midfielder, and have already started looking for alternatives.
According to a report from Sport, the Spanish club are interested in signing Ilkay Gundogan from Manchester City.
Barca have been chasing Gundogan since 2015 when he went through a medical but didn’t complete the move. He subsequently joined City in a deal worth £20 million a year later.
Barcelona reportedly want to renew their interest in the talented midfielder whose current contract is set to expire in 2023.
The former Borussia Dortmund player enjoyed a spectacular 2020-21 season, racking up 28 Premier League appearances and scoring 13 goals.
He also played 12 Champions League matches for Pep Guardiola’s side last term, weighing in with another three goals.
Barca will need to make a bumper offer if they are to convince the Citizens to allow their midfielder to leave the Etihad Stadium.
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho
- MP calls for independent regulator for English football
- Manchester City willing to offer Raheem Sterling as part of deal for Harry Kane
- Emile Smith Rowe extends his stay at Arsenal by signing new contract
- Morning Mix: No excuses left for United next season, time to get tough with the racists
- Arsenal reach agreement with Brighton for Ben White
- Manchester City striker completes £11m move to Bundesliga club
- Atletico Madrid confirm signing of Rodrigo de Paul from Udinese
- Euro 2020 Knockouts Review: Italy’s dramatic success, Switzerland’s battles & much m…