Home win again! 12 months after being handed a lesson by Bolton, it’s now our turn to be teacher and Burnley the pre-pubescent pupil. Those who can, teach, and on Saturday we could. A solid if unspectacular performance, but a win is a win is a win and it felt pretty special sitting atop ‘The Greatest League in the World‘ ©Sky Sports , for all of 2 hours.
Over the past week or so, a number of teams have been giving Ryan Shawcross the eye, in hope that he’ll return some eye for some eye to eye contact. Pulis, Coates and Shawcross have been united in dismissing rumours as rumours but press speculation has intensified due to Stoke chasing central defenders like Gok Wan has revealed to the world that centre halves will soon be so last season. Both Robert Huth and James Collins have been strongly linked, and having had a bid accepted for the latter, Collins could indeed feature at the weekend.
If Shawcross should stay, as well as at least one addition to our defence, both Ibrahima Sonkoand Leon Cort will find themselves even further down a swollen pecking order. Realistically we’d do well to cover the £3.5million initial fee for Collins by selling Sonko and Cort.
Not forgetting that there is some football to be played tonight…
Last season with 4 games played, Liverpool entertained Stoke at Anfield. The reds having enjoyed a good start, had beaten Champions Manchester United the week before. Conversely Stoke had lost 3 in 4, conceding 10 goals along the way. So with Torres and Gerrard et al, a home win looked inevitable. But after having a fairly legitimate looking Gerrard goal chalked off early on, a resolute City held firm and despite having 1,092 shots on goal, Liverpool stumbled to drop valuable home points.
This time around however, It’s Liverpool who have been slow out the blocks with an opening defeat against Tottenham. Even with Agger, Aquilani, Aurelio and Riera all out, and Skrtel rated as doubtful, i’d still fully expect another Alamo type effort from Stoke. Rafa could have some beard stroking to do however, if Skrtel doesn’t recover it could mean youngster Daniel Ayala making his full debut to deal with Delap bombardment.
A prediction? Why not.
Liverpool 1 – Stoke City 1
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho