Freddie Ljungberg spoke of his determination to be fit for the start of Euro 2008, he suffered a rib injury in West Ham’s 2-2 draw with Newcastle.
Newcastle defender Steven Taylor inadvertently stamped on Ljungberg’s chest, and the midfieler went off in the 21st minute with a suspected cracked rib.
Set to be sidelined for three to four weeks, Ljungberg was out for the rest of the Premier League season, but desperate to play a full part for his country in Austria and Switzerland this summer.
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, Goalscoring Keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview