Having safely navigated through a tough birth last weekend, our new ‘Morning Mix’ column has been given the green light to continue every Sunday.
We’ll be looking at a couple of the main talking points from the last seven days and highlight some of the best football content from elsewhere on the internet.
We’ll also throw in a top tune to get your Sunday off to the best possible start and offer a final thought to ponder heading into the new week. Let’s get stuck in!
Henderson not the answer for United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s decision to ditch David de Gea in favour of Dean Henderson has sparked plenty of debate over the past few months.
While de Gea’s performances for Manchester United had fallen below his usual high standards, he will rightly be disappointed to have lost his place to Henderson.
The 24-year-old looked shaky in midweek against Liverpool and lacks the quality needed to be the permanent number one at Old Trafford.
United have several areas they must address in the summer transfer window – a new first-choice goalkeeper is definitely one of them.
Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
Youri Tielemans attracted plenty of praise for his performance during Leicester City’s stirring FA Cup Final victory over Chelsea on Saturday.
His superb match-winning goal stole most of the headlines and helped to overshadow his partner in crime in midfield – Wilfred Ndidi.
The Nigerian doesn’t attract the same level of attention as some of his teammates, but he is a vital cog in how the Foxes try to play.
He produced another strong performance in the middle of the park against the Blues and his contribution to Leicester’s victory should not be underestimated.
The week that was
Looking for the top football stories from the past seven days? Check these out:
- The noise, the colour, the emotion – Rangers’ moment of light after years of dark
- Down but not out: lampooned Allardyce can still make Albion proud
- The Spurs conundrum: why finding a new manager is so difficult
Today’s top tune
Singer Tom Grennan has risen to prominence over the past few years on the back of a superb debut album – Lighting Matches.
Grennan’s recently released second offering – Evering Road – sees him take a huge step forward and cements his status as one of the best music acts around.
The Bedford-born star was on Luton Town’s books as a youngster, but he appears to have found what he was looking for (see what we did there) in music.
A final thought
Given how lousy Man United have looked at the back without Harry Maguire, odds of 11/5 for Villarreal to win the Europa League are way too generous.
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 4: Preview & Predictions
- Morning Mix: Salah is living in fantasy land, Niguez signing boosts Chelsea’s title hopes
- Football Today: Games to Watch on September 4, 2021
- European Transfer Window’s Best XI: Messi, Ramos & more