Another Sunday is upon us which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with some music thrown into the pot.
We look at two talking points from the past week and point you in the direction of some of the best football writing elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for Sunday and a final thought to ponder for the week ahead.
Messi’s Barca era ends in tears
Lionel Messi’s time at Barcelona finally came to an end during a tearful press conference at the Nou Camp this morning.
Messi confirmed he offered to reduce his wages by 50 percent, but La Liga’s new financial rules scuppered his hopes of staying with the club.
Given that he demanded to leave Barca last summer, his emotional reaction to his departure was a tad over the top.
Thankfully Messi can now trot off to Paris Saint-Germain and line his pockets with oil money. What a wonderful ending to the story.
Chelsea taking a big gamble with Lukaku
Chelsea’s decision to splash out £97.5 million on Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku is undoubtedly a risky move on their part.
Lukaku has bounced back from his disappointing spell at Manchester United to rediscover his form in the calmer waters of Serie A.
However, as highlighted by his woeful miss against Italy at the European Championships, the Belgian is not a truly elite level forward.
If Chelsea had any sense, they would have pushed the boat out to sign Erling Braut Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.
The week that was
Looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Messi leaves with Barcelona in financial abyss – and it is not over yet.
- Why Grealish is everything Guardiola wants in a player.
- Roy Keane at 50: The robot, the madman, the winner.
Today’s top tune
Wigan-based band The Lathums have been steadily rising up the ranks over the past two years and look ready to make a big breakthrough.
They recently shared the stunning title track to their debut album ‘How Beautiful Life Can Be’, which is due to be released in September.
The Lathums are also gearing up for their biggest tour of the United Kingdom later this year. If you managed to get a ticket, don’t lose it!
A final thought
Jose Mourinho’s sending off during Roma’s pre-season friendly against Real Betis highlighted that his belligerent nature remains firmly intact.
Serie A will be more fun to watch with him around, but it’s not going to end well, is it?
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide