Sunday is here again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with some music chucked into the pot for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past seven days and point you in the direction of some of the best football writing elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for Sunday and a final thought to ponder for the week ahead.
Ronaldo return creates Pogba conundrum
In what has been one of the craziest summer transfer windows ever, Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to Manchester United was a genuine ‘Wow’ moment.
The 36-year-old’s arrival at Old Trafford adds yet more quality to United’s attacking options but also creates a conundrum where Paul Pogba is concerned.
Pogba is unlikely to stay on the left-wing when Marcus Rashford returns to action, with the England star expected to partner Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho in the front three.
That leaves Pogba back in the mix for a central midfield role. He’s rarely shone for United in that position, but this could be his chance to prove all his doubters wrong.
Reports of Man City’s demise were premature
Manchester City’s defeat at Tottenham Hotspur on the opening weekend sparked plenty of talk about their title credentials.
Their failure to sign Harry Kane was seen as a sure sign that not having a prolific goalscorer in their line-up would catch up with them this season.
City have answered their critics in style by demolishing Norwich City and Arsenal by an aggregate scoreline of 10-0 in their last two games.
With Ferran Torres increasingly looking like he can fill the central attacking role, it would be foolish to underestimate City’s title chances this season.
The week that was
Searching for the best football stories from the past seven days? Check these out:
- Solskjær has a title-winning squad – the time for excuses is over.
- Tuchel has transformed Chelsea’s defence.
- Will Messi’s commercial pull cover the cost of his move to PSG?
Today’s top tune
The announcement of a new Courteeners tour in smaller UK venues sparked plenty of excitement in your intrepid writer’s household this week.
Thankfully the ticket-buying Gods were kind, and we’re off to see Liam Fray and the gang. This promises to be an epic night!
A final thought
Mikel Arteta has had nearly two years in charge of Arsenal, and improvement has not been forthcoming.
With Antonio Conte available, what exactly are the Gunners’ board waiting for?
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide