It’s Sunday again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with some top-class music thrown into the pot.
We look at two talking points from the past week and point you in the direction of some of the best football writing elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for Sunday and a final thought to ponder for the week ahead.
United need Conte’s tactical nous
Manchester United’s disappointing 1-1 draw with Everton yesterday highlighted that a change may be needed in the managerial hot seat.
While Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has done well to improve United since replacing Jose Mourinho, the feeling remains that he lacks the tactical nous to deliver silverware.
His persistence with playing Fred and Scott McTominay in midfield is baffling. One or the other would be fine but as a pairing? No thanks.
United are better than they were but need a manager who can get them over the line. Antonio Conte’s track record of success makes him the obvious choice.
Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
Ben Chilwell has had to be patient with Marcos Alonso nailing down the left wing-back spot at Chelsea during the early part of the season.
However, he was handed a starting role against Southampton yesterday and grabbed the opportunity with both hands.
Chilwell provided plenty of energy down the left flank and capped his impressive performance with Chelsea’s third goal late in the game.
The 24-year-old has now handed manager Thomas Tuchel a welcome selection headache given his performance against the Saints.
The week that was
Searching for the best football stories from the past seven days? Check these out:
- John O’Kane: From United’s Class of ’92 to becoming a care worker and loving it.
- Richard Keogh: ‘The next thing I know I’m waking up and speaking to paramedics’.
- Andres Iniesta: ‘One day I wish to return to Barcelona’.
Today’s top tune
Friday night was a cracker as Red Rum Club played a storming set at Bootleg Social in Blackpool.
Up-and-coming Wrexham band The Royston Club were the support act and they did not disappoint.
The four-piece delivered a power-packed performance that perfectly showcased their ability to play live. Top job guys!
A final thought
Mark Clattenburg made disrespectful comments about women referees in midweek. Hands up anyone who was surprised by this?
Anyone? Thought not. He came off as arrogant when he was officiating. The question is, why do media outlets give folk like him a platform to air their nonsense?
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 7: Preview & Predictions
- Galatasaray hold Marseille to 0-0 draw interrupted by fan clashes