Petr Cech dropped a cross and let Turkey back into the game, as Nihat had an easy tap-in. Everyone thought we were going to see the first ever penalty shoot out in the group stages of a European Championships, but barely a minute later, Nihat was put through on goal and blasted his second goal of the game past Cech. Turkey managed to come back from two down to win and reach the knockout phase.
Drama in injurt time meant Tuncay went into goal after Turkey’s goalkeeper Volkan stupidly pushed over Jan Koller, the added time rolled on but eventually Turkey won a game they looked to have lost and will play Croatia in the quarterfinals.
Arda Turan scored with a solid right-foot finish from Hamit Altintop’s pull back from the right, which got the Turks back into it at 2-1 down, after Koller had got the Czech Republics opener and Jaroslav Plasil met Libor Sionko’s deep cross to double the Republics lead. Nobody watching the game could have expected what came next!
Latest Football Blogs
- Monday Briefing: Leicester a model club, Goalscoring Keepers & Barcelona in shambles
- Morning Mix: Henderson not the answer for United, Ndidi delivers a midfield masterclass
- The stories behind Leicester’s special FA Cup win
- UEFA Women’s Champions League: Last 5 finals
- Arsenal will take on Chelsea and Tottenham in a pre-season charity tournament
- 2021 FA Cup Final: Over land and sea (and Leicester)
- NFT’s: The next big thing within football?
- Review: Manchester City’s route to an emphatic Premier League title triumph
- Why media got the Jens Lehmann racism incident completely wrong
- Manchester City vs Chelsea: 2021 Champions League final preview