An injury-plagued Portsmouth will face a strong Chelsea side this evening, as the two sides meet at Fratton Park in the third round of the Carling Cup.
After a humiliating 6-0 loss at the weekend to Manchester City, Pompey will be looking to restore some city pride. Although, they know that it will be an even tougher task, with 10 squad members suffering from injury.
Pompey will be without Jermain Defoe, Papa Bouba Diop, Sol Campbell, Sean Davis, David Nugent and most notably Lassana Diarra.
Diarra has been a key player for the Blues this season and scored Pompey’s first ever European goal. It is believed that his injury is not as bad as first thought and should be available for selection soon.
Chelsea on the other-hand will also be without key players as Deco (thigh) and Ricardo Carvalho (knee) join Michael Essien (knee) in the treatment room.
However, it is expected that German international Michael Ballack and striker Didier Drogba will play a part in this evening’s fixture. Both are currently short on match fitness.
Nigerian duo, John Utaka and Nwankwo Kanu are expected to lead Pompey’s front line with former Liverpool striker, Peter Crouch being given a rest and a place on the bench.
Richard Hughes, Arnold Mvuemba, Glen Little and Younes Kaboul are all expected to make an appearance this evening as well.
Coverage of the game can be found on BBC Radio Solent on 96.1FM and on BBC Five Live Sports Extra.
Match report to follow later…
- History of football at the Olympics
- Five Famous Hollywood Football Fans
- Manchester United agree £41m fee with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane
- Manchester United receive huge boost in pursuit of Saul Niguez
- Ben White set to undergo medical with Arsenal
- Arsenal leading the race for Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham
- Crystal Palace close to signing Lyon defender Joachim Andersen
- Morning Mix: Carragher’s take on Wijnaldum is brainless, Tottenham turning things around
- Tottenham Hotspur confirm signing Pierluigi Gollini on season-long loan
- Manchester United complete £73m transfer of Jadon Sancho