If you’re a fan of useless trivia then this might be right up your street. The following so-called amazing facts, personally they didn’t impress me, were published on www.mirror.co.uk.
1. Coach Paulo Bento was suspended from the national team for five months after swearing at the referee who awarded France a 117th minute penalty, later converted by Zinedine Zidane, in the Euro 2000 semi-final.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo once admitted that his cure for frustration was to put a television up a tree and then fire footballs at it until it crashed to the ground.
3. Ronaldo owns a Lamborghini, a Ferrari, a Porsche, an Aston Martin, a Rolls Royce, two Bentleys, two Mercedes and four Audis.
4. Raul Meireles chose the giant dragon tattoo on his back from Japanese mythology and believes it offers him protection.
5. Forward Ricardo Quaresma – nicknamed ‘Harry Potter’ before a decidedly unmagical spell at Chelsea – was suspended by Besiktas in March after a dressing room row in which he is alleged to have thrown water bottles at coach Carlos Carvalhal.
6. Defender Bruno Alves’ uncle Geraldo played in the Brazilian national side alongside Zico side before dying of a heart attack during a routine appendix operation, aged just 22.
7. Full back Fabio Coentrao was dropped by Real Madrid in March after he was photographed having a cigarette outside a nightclub on his birthday.
8. Hugo Viana’s unhappy spell at Newcastle United had only one highlight – when a seven-year-old found a platinum wedding ring which had dropped off wife Raquel’s winger during a jog on Town Moor some weeks earlier.
9. Nani’s girlfriend Daniela Martins is a frugal sort. She revealed: “When I go shopping at Tesco I look for bargains. Nani loves Müller Crunch Corners and I get them when they’re on special offer. You can get six in a deal for £2.96. I’d never buy just four because you can’t save money that way. And Nani loves Krispy Kreme doughnuts so I buy the big box because we save doing that.”
10. Centre back Pepe – once banned for 10 games for a Bartonesque incident in which he was red-carded for a foul, kicked and stamped on his prone adversary and slapped another player on the way off – got a two-game ban in March after calling a ref “a rip-off motherfucker”.
- Morning Mix: Arsenal boss under pressure, Tuchel proves his worth
- The race for the top four: Will Leicester slip up again?
- Premier League Matchday 35 Predictions
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five