Portugal have all but ensured their place in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 by beating the Czech Republic 3-1 in Geneva.
It was a fantastic day in terms of weather for football, a gloriously sunny day with not a breeze of wind throughout the game, and it was a sign of things to come as both sides started the game brightly, creating several opportunities on goal in the first few minutes.
It was the Portuguese who broke the deadlock, with Deco giving his side the lead after 8 minutes, although quite argubly it was against the run of play.
But their lead was short lived as nine minutes later Libor Sionko gave the Czech Republic a much deserved equaliser to level things up at 1-1.
In the second half, Portugal pressed on and on, and regained their lead on 63 minutes when star player Cristiano Ronaldo hit a fantastic first time shot past the Czech defence and goalkeeper Petr Cech.
The Czech Republic tried to bounce back and created several opportunities, but Portugal sealed the win in injury time when Ronaldo broke free past the defence and and squared the ball past theÂ onrushing Petr Cech and into the feet of Porto talisman Ricardo Quaresma, who slotted the ball intoÂ the empty net and sealÂ the win for the Portuguese.
The win leaves Portugal top of Group A with 6 points and 2 wins in 2 games, and has virtually ensured their progression into the quarter-finals.
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak