As we ready ourselves for another 267 days of top league football, we are treated to the prelude of 8 games to positively whet our appetites.
Not a great deal has happened this summer, soccer wise. Our U21 team preempted the full
national team, and introduced our players to the kind of dejection, disappointment and
despair their more illustrious counterparts get to feel every 2 years or so.
The Confederations cup came and went. No, me neither.
GetReal Madrid decided they were fed up being frugal and thrifty in only spending ten to
twenty million pounds on any given player, so new old president Florentino Perez decided to do his best Monty Brewster impression. Of course in the film Brewster spent $30million in 30 days, Galactico lover Perez transcended this by pumping $305million into the world’s economy in 32 days. All done without the aid of John Candy, Bravo.
So apart from that, not much has happened.
So our wait has been waited, and our excitement has begun to physically become palpable. Tomorrow Stoke City will be in two places at once, a pretty sweet magic trick, to be hosted by both Nantwich Town and Newcastle Town respectively. After what feels like weeks and weeks of speculation and rumour (probably because that’s how long it’s been), we line up tomorrow with the square root of zero in the way of new first team signings. I’m not worried, honestly i’m not. Yet.
Part of my problem is endlessly being linked with players (52 so far). Sad as it may be, it
gets me very excited. I’ll smile, look at wikipedia for career stats, go on google images to visualise them standing scarf above head, saying “it’s a dream to play for Stoke” etc. I begin to theorise where the player would fit into our starting eleven, and think about if he had the right DNA and which players he’ll probably get on well with off the pitch, and the kind of things they’ll do together. I’ll think about…
Oh he’s signed for Marseille. Oh.
By this time i’ve noticed i’ve wasted the best part of half a day worrying about this and…oh hang on? Peter Ridsdale on my TV telling me Cardiff might have to sell interminable Stoke target Joe Ledley? Backtrack 117 words, rinse and repeat.
Something that is fun to begin with, now has become a REAL chore.
Come back transfer deadline and come back 267 days of top flight football.
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona
- Manchester United keen to sign Christian Eriksen on a free transfer
- Darren Bent offers his view on Liverpool’s interest in Paul Pogba
- 2021/22 Champions League end of season awards: Best player, best manager, and more
- Premier League season review: Who ran the show in 2021/22?
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season