The French national team, like most other nations taking part in the European Championship 2008, will play a set of friendlies, which will help the coach analyse the different abilities and forms of his players. Players doing well in these friendlies generally carry their good form to the actual competition. Others who do not impress will find themselves sitting on the bench for most of the Euro 2008 event.
The first friendly to be played is against Ecuador in the Grenoble stadium. It will be played on the 27th May, where the French players will pit their strength against the South Americans, just one day before Raymond Domenech announced his final 23-man squad for Euro 2008.
The second friendly will be played on the 31st May in Toulouse against the 24th ranked team in the FIFA rankings, South Americans Paraguay. The team is managed by Gerardo Martino and will test the French national team’s ability to withstand pressure. The Paraguayans qualified for the last three World Cups, which shows the team’s strength.
The third and final friendly, before France face Romania in their opening match of Euro 2008,Â will be against another South American team. This time it will be Colombia, which will travel to play Les Blues in Paris, on the 3rd June. The team is ranked 19th in the FIFA rankings and the last World Cup in which they appeared was the 1998 event held in France. Colombia were eliminated at the group stage in World Cup 1998. They won the Copa America back in 2001. Currently they are managed by Jorge Luis Pinto.
All these matches will be previewed and covered as they get nearer. Hopefully the friendlies will help the French players do well in Euro 2008, and stay clear of injuries.
- Morning Mix: Leeds will come good, Villa showing there is life after Grealish
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 6: Preview & Predictions
- Suriname’s vice president sets record for oldest player to feature in international club compe…
- Angers and Marseille play out bleak 0-0 draw
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions