Mikael Silvestre knows that he is very likely to be overlooked for this year’s edition of the European Championships, due to the injury that kept him out for most of the present season. He suffered a cruciate ligament injury at the beginning of the 2007/08 campaign and only returned for the Champions League Last 16 return match against Roma on the 9th April.
Silvestre has been playing very well since his return to football, but he understands that due to the vast quantity of French players capable of filling in at left-back, he will not be called for the Euro 2008 squad. Thuram, Gallas, Clichy, Abidal and Mexes can all play at left-back. Thus, Silvestre is looking forward to a summer of rest, after a season plagued by an injury, but which ended on a wonderful note by lifting the Premier League trophy.
“Unless there are a couple of injuries for France I don’t think I will be included.”
“He (Raymond Domenech) has Thuram, Gallas, Mexes, Abidal and Clichy so there is big competition! So I don’t mind having a rest to be honest. My aim is to focus on United for next season.” – Mikael Silvestre, Man Utd left-back
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach