Roy Hodgson said too many draws and a lack of depth in forward players has hampered the England team recently. So is it time to open other options for the search of English strikers?
Some say England have gone ‘back to the dark ages’ but is this because the approach to picking the squad has always been hampered for the man in the England seat?
Hodgson’s main gripe seems to be a lack of English front men:
‘If you look at the Premier League most of the strikers are foreigners.”
This problem is not a new issue and will not be solved overnight, some may even say English strikers in teams have lessened since the formation of the Premier League and may continue to do so. That leaves the question, where do we look now?
It may be time to get clever with the selection, granted, the friendlies recently should have been the time for this, but a few additions of frontal force can’t do any worse to St.George’s quick-draw McGraws.
For example, both Burnley’s Charlie Austin and Celtic’s Gary Hooper are being supposedly touted by Premiership clubs, with them being 23 and 25 respectively and both scoring a lot of goals for their clubs this season, shouldn’t they get their chance to add fire-power to our attacking options?
These men would most likely relish the chance to represent their country and pull on the shirt, so why have they not been asked to? Is it the fear that they don’t play for the top clubs in the country? I hope this isn’t the reason holding back England selections, as Austin was one of the top English goal scorers in the leagues and Gary Hooper has scored 63 goals in 90 SPL starts, since going north of the border.
Hodgson says England will be better in the Autumn qualifiers, I hope so and if England look further afield, these two could be added and show the dark-ages are gone and that some new blood is being pumped into the Lion heart of England`s attack.
- Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Real Sociedad – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Champions League last-16 predictions: Manchester City, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich favourites to w…
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Girona – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Roma vs Inter Milan – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- West Ham’s Said Benrahma on the verge of completing Lyon move
- Preview: Liverpool vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Carabao Cup semi-final second leg preview: Chelsea host Middlesbrough, Liverpool take on Fulham
- Promoted Trio In Danger Of Instant Championship Return