Manchester United are set to fight it out to sign Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, according to The Metro.
The 27 year-old, who is the son of United legend Peter Schmeichel, has been in outstanding form for the Championship leaders this season and his form has been attracting the interest of an array of top-flight clubs and the Foxes will face a challenge in trying to keep the Great Dane at the King Power Stadium.
Danish-born Schmeichel, who started his career at United’s arch rivals Manchester City, , is out of contract in the summer and would be available at a cut price, should his club decide to cash in. The Midlands club are more likely to offer Schmeichel, who has become an integral part of their team, a new contract in order to keep hold of him. Hull City were just one of the many clubs interested in the shot stopper last summer and were reportedly close to signing him, only for the ‘keeper to state that he wanted to reach his Premier League ambitions with Leicester, where he has made over 118 appearances since joining from Leeds in 2011.
United are not the only club interested in him, however, with newly-appointed AC Milan boss Clarence Seedorf reportedly prepared to pay £4 million to make Schmeichel the replacement for 37-year old Christian Abbiati. Whether or not the Denmark international would be willing to move to Italy though remains to be seen, especially as he has a young family and is settled in a town just outside of Leicestershire. Nevertheless, Seedorf will want to beat United to the player’s signature, who are reportedly offering Anders Lindegaard and the opportunity for Schmeichel to remain at Leicester on loan until the end of the season in order to bring him to Old Trafford.
Leicester will be doing all they can to retain one of their most important players and a new contract offer is rumoured to be imminent, but the temptation as David Moyes comes calling could prove to be the spanner in the works for Nigel Pearson.
- History of the FA Community Shield
- Harry Kane refusing to train as he forces move away from Tottenham
- The Five Best Football Transfer Windows
- Barcelona make enquiry about Italian midfielder Manuel Locatelli
- Morning Mix: Liverpool risk being left behind, £100m for Grealish is a great deal for Villa
- History of football at the Olympics
- Five Famous Hollywood Football Fans
- Manchester United agree £41m fee with Real Madrid for Raphael Varane
- Manchester United receive huge boost in pursuit of Saul Niguez
- Ben White set to undergo medical with Arsenal