Manchester United are set to fight it out to sign Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, according to The Metro.
The 27 year-old, who is the son of United legend Peter Schmeichel, has been in outstanding form for the Championship leaders this season and his form has been attracting the interest of an array of top-flight clubs and the Foxes will face a challenge in trying to keep the Great Dane at the King Power Stadium.
Danish-born Schmeichel, who started his career at United’s arch rivals Manchester City, , is out of contract in the summer and would be available at a cut price, should his club decide to cash in. The Midlands club are more likely to offer Schmeichel, who has become an integral part of their team, a new contract in order to keep hold of him. Hull City were just one of the many clubs interested in the shot stopper last summer and were reportedly close to signing him, only for the ‘keeper to state that he wanted to reach his Premier League ambitions with Leicester, where he has made over 118 appearances since joining from Leeds in 2011.
United are not the only club interested in him, however, with newly-appointed AC Milan boss Clarence Seedorf reportedly prepared to pay £4 million to make Schmeichel the replacement for 37-year old Christian Abbiati. Whether or not the Denmark international would be willing to move to Italy though remains to be seen, especially as he has a young family and is settled in a town just outside of Leicestershire. Nevertheless, Seedorf will want to beat United to the player’s signature, who are reportedly offering Anders Lindegaard and the opportunity for Schmeichel to remain at Leicester on loan until the end of the season in order to bring him to Old Trafford.
Leicester will be doing all they can to retain one of their most important players and a new contract offer is rumoured to be imminent, but the temptation as David Moyes comes calling could prove to be the spanner in the works for Nigel Pearson.
- Arsenal Set For Another Champions League-less Season
- Aston Villa set to sign Phillipe Coutinho permanently
- Arsenal vs Leeds United Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Inter Closing in on Juventus Marksman Paulo Dybala
- Man City vs Real Madrid highlights European action in midweek
- Lazio vs Milan Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Arsenal vs Manchester United: Everything you need to know
- Liverpool vs Manchester United Preview & Major Transfer Updates
- Sports News roundup: Man Utd chase Pogba successor, Chelsea takeover and Salah’s future at Liv…
- FIFA 23: Everything we know so far