Manchester United squandered a brilliant opportunity to win the first leg of the Europa League Last 16 and enter the San Siro encounter with an advantage.
Amad Diallo’s strike looked to have earned a victory for United but Simon Kjaer popped up with an injury-time equaliser to spoil their opponents’ fun.
The visitors dominated the first half at Old Trafford as Franck Kessie’s fine effort was ruled out for handball by the VAR.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer introduced Diallo in place of Anthony Martial at half time and the Ivorian footballer made an immediate impact for the home side.
The 18-year-old winger put his side ahead with a brilliant header from Bruno Fernandes’ chipped pass in the 50th minute of the game.
The Red Devils could have extended their lead if Dan James had not missed a brilliant scoring opportunity. And that miss proved costly for them as Milan struck in injury time with Kjaer heading Rade Krunic’s corner past the goalkeeper.
The two European sides will now meet each other on March 18 at the San Siro Stadium for the second leg.
- Premier League Matchday 23: Top-Four Race Matches to Watch & Predictions
- Premier League Matchday 22 Preview: Best Three Games To Watch
- Ralf Rangnick delivers update on Edinson Cavani’s future at Manchester United
- Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger opens pre-contract talks with big European clubs
- Romelu Lukaku dropped from Chelsea squad in 2-2 draw against Liverpool
- Manchester United in contention with Liverpool for Leeds’ centre-back
- Chelsea star Romelu Lukaku set for showdown talks with Thomas Tuchel
- Five players who are desperate to move in the 2022 January transfer window
- Fiorentina cannot keep hold of Dusan Vlahovic anymore
- Manchester United striker to request January exit