David Villa was on target for the fourth time in this tournament, grabbing an injury time winner which sealed a 2-1 win for Spain over Sweden. The win secured Spain’s progress into the quarter finals.
The rest of the match was equally exciting and not without incident itself.
Spain took the lead after just 15 minutes, with Liverpool striker turning in a corner from winger Silva.
Torres puts Spain 1-0 up
However, Sweden equalised through their star frontman Zlatan Ibrahimovic just 19 minutes later, with the Inter Milan forward shrugging off a challenge from Sergio Ramos to poke past Casillas. The shot itself was rather weak, and the Real Madrid shotstopper would have felt that he could have done better.
Ibrahimovic equalises for the Swedes
The game remained tight from that point forward, and apart from Spain being denied what seemed like a blatant penalty just before half time, Sweden looked deserving of a point.
However, Villa was not having that, as he tucked away a Capdevilla pass in the 92nd minute to secure a quarter final berth for his side.
Villa scores in the 92nd minute to give Spain a last-gasp victory
The BBC have compiled a highlights package of the game on:
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary