David Villa’s hattrick against Russia was remarkable for many reasons – it sealed a impressive 4-1 win, was the first hattrick from a Spanish player at the tournament, and was the first at a Euro finals since Euro 2000.
However it also saw Villa become only the seventh player EVER to net three goals in a game at the tournament.
The last one, eight years ago, was bagged by legendary Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert in the Netherlands’s 6-1 quarter final victory over Yugoslavia – the first in the knockout rounds since 1976. That hattrick saw Dieter MÃ¼ller come off the bench to help West Germany to overturn a 2-0 deficit to Yugoslavia, in a 4-2 victory.
However this came after SÃ©rgio ConceiÃ§Ã£o had netted a triple in Portugal’s 3-0 group A victory over Germany.
The other illustrious names in the list are:
Marco van Basten (1988)
Michel Platini (2 hattricks in the famous 1984 tournament)
Klaus Allofs (1980)
- Sunday Premier League Preview: Matchday 15
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte