Egyptian hitman Amr Zaki is being lined up for a six-month loan deal to Fratton Park, as Pompey desperately continue their search for a striker.
Portsmouth scouts are said to have watched the former Wigan star score in a comfortable 2-0 victory, for Egypt, over Algeria on Saturday.
Manager Paul Hart is convinced the hot-tempered forward can provide the spark the Blues need in order to secure Premier League survival.
Despite the move previously being brandished as ‘agent talk’ by CEO Peter Storrie, club chairman Sulaiman al Fahim has always remained a fan.
Zaki currently plays for Egyptian side El Zamalek, after failing to secure a permanent move to Wigan last summer.
Zaki nearly secured a switch to Portsmouth near the end of the last transfer window, however, Zamalek were reluctant to let him go.
It is thought the Egyptian side would be prepared to listen for offers in January.
Pompey are in desperate need of bolstering their strike force, after it was revealed the South Coast side would be without trio, Aruna Dindane, Kanu and John Utaka for the duration of the African Nations Cup.
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 4: Preview & Predictions
- Morning Mix: Salah is living in fantasy land, Niguez signing boosts Chelsea’s title hopes
- Football Today: Games to Watch on September 4, 2021
- European Transfer Window’s Best XI: Messi, Ramos & more