Egyptian hitman Amr Zaki is being lined up for a six-month loan deal to Fratton Park, as Pompey desperately continue their search for a striker.
Portsmouth scouts are said to have watched the former Wigan star score in a comfortable 2-0 victory, for Egypt, over Algeria on Saturday.
Manager Paul Hart is convinced the hot-tempered forward can provide the spark the Blues need in order to secure Premier League survival.
Despite the move previously being brandished as ‘agent talk’ by CEO Peter Storrie, club chairman Sulaiman al Fahim has always remained a fan.
Zaki currently plays for Egyptian side El Zamalek, after failing to secure a permanent move to Wigan last summer.
Zaki nearly secured a switch to Portsmouth near the end of the last transfer window, however, Zamalek were reluctant to let him go.
It is thought the Egyptian side would be prepared to listen for offers in January.
Pompey are in desperate need of bolstering their strike force, after it was revealed the South Coast side would be without trio, Aruna Dindane, Kanu and John Utaka for the duration of the African Nations Cup.
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho