In the European Championships, Italy do not seem to be such powerful or maybe luck is not really on their side when they play in European Competition.
This was the case in the Euro 2000 edition when they managed to arrive to the final against France. In Rotterdam, Italy were leading 1-0 thanks to a Delvecchio goal and reviving memories of this match, I remember a late goal by France by Wiltord to give France a life-line. Then Toldo got slightly injured and France celebrated the Euro 00 edition by a Trezegeut golden-goal. Bitter memories which you can see below:
Italy Runners-up after conceding 2 late-late goals
Italy’s most successful run in Europe was in 1968 when they beat Yugoslavia to lift the European trophy. Italy drew 1-1 in the final originally but things were dealt differently those times and no golden goal or penalties were used. Instead a replay was played and Italy won this time 2-0 thanks to Gigi Riva and Pietro Anastasi. You can revive this memories from this video.
Italy Champions of Europe 1968
Italy’s last performance in Euro 2004 was one to forget as they did not even make it past the group stage being foiled by Denmark and Sweden, losing out on goal difference.
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak
- 5 talking points from England’s draw with Hungary
- Morning Mix: Newcastle rebuild will take time, Rodgers faces first big test at Leicester
- Kylian Mbappé ‘asked to leave’ PSG amidst Real Madrid interest in summer
- Claudio Ranieri returns to Premier League as he is appointed Watford head coach
- Atalanta 2-3 AC Milan: La Dea’s comeback attempt is too late as the Rossoneri impress in Bergamo
- Lille continue resurgence with victory over Marseille
- Morning Mix: United need Conte’s tactical nous, Chilwell gives Chelsea boss a headache
- Liverpool vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups