In the European Championships, Italy do not seem to be such powerful or maybe luck is not really on their side when they play in European Competition.
This was the case in the Euro 2000 edition when they managed to arrive to the final against France. In Rotterdam, Italy were leading 1-0 thanks to a Delvecchio goal and reviving memories of this match, I remember a late goal by France by Wiltord to give France a life-line. Then Toldo got slightly injured and France celebrated the Euro 00 edition by a Trezegeut golden-goal. Bitter memories which you can see below:
Italy Runners-up after conceding 2 late-late goals
Italy’s most successful run in Europe was in 1968 when they beat Yugoslavia to lift the European trophy. Italy drew 1-1 in the final originally but things were dealt differently those times and no golden goal or penalties were used. Instead a replay was played and Italy won this time 2-0 thanks to Gigi Riva and Pietro Anastasi. You can revive this memories from this video.
Italy Champions of Europe 1968
Italy’s last performance in Euro 2004 was one to forget as they did not even make it past the group stage being foiled by Denmark and Sweden, losing out on goal difference.
- Aston Villa want to secure a return for Ashley Young
- Premier League 2021/22: The dates to remember as fixtures are released
- Marko Arnautovic could be in trouble for alleged racist remarks
- France v Germany – divided by history, united by choice
- Manchester City’s Aymeric Laporte wants a move to Barcelona
- Monday Briefing: Eriksen survives, England trio silence doubters, Lukaku makes statement
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho