The Former Red detailed the honest talk with Klopp that encouraged him to start looking for a new club, back in October 2019.
The 32-year-old was one of the first Liverpool players to embrace Jurgen Klopp’s high energy, counter-pressing style of play, and a key part of the Reds’ success during the early days of Klopp’s regime.
Due to a combination of injuries, age, and strong competition for positions, Lallana found himself in and out of Klopp’s starting line-up.
After enjoying six seasons at Anfield, ending his time at the club as part of the Reds team that won their first Premier League title in a generation, Liverpool opted not to renew his contract which expired at the end of the 2019/20 season.
Thereafter, Lallana joined Brighton & Hove Albion on a free transfer where he hopes to earn more playing opportunities.
In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live on Friday, Lallana provided some insight into his relationship with Jurgen Klopp, and he detailed the conversation he had with the Liverpool manager that led his exit at Anfield.
“To give you a bit of an insight, I spoke to Jurgen (Klopp) in October of last year and just sat down and had an open conversation,” Lallana said.
“We have a great relationship and I just said ‘what’s it looking like for me next year?’. I know I’m out of contract and I know I’m not playing regularly.
“Although I had a pretty big role in the squad around the team, I wanted a bit of honesty. He basically said to me in October, ‘get your agent to start looking for another club’.
“That doesn’t mean you’re not in my plans or he isn’t going to use me. Four days later he brought me on at Old Trafford and I scored the equaliser and I think that shows what type of person Jurgen is. He’s very honest.
“He said to me I deserve to be playing more and I deserve more game time and to be playing more. He couldn’t offer that to me so from then I had his blessing the club’s blessing to give my agent the go-ahead to speak to other clubs about next season, which is now this season.”
- Juventus lining up cash-plus-player bid for Lyon’s Lucas Paqueta
- Kane & Salah to run the show in the 2022/23 Premier League Golden Boot race – or not?
- Most Successful Teams in England
- Premier League Pre-Season: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton & Man City heading to the United States
- Inter Miami vs Barcelona: date, kick-off time & how to stream
- Darwin Nunez to Erling Haaland – top five transfers completed in June
- Five Teams Expected To Dominate At The 2022 World Cup
- Man Utd’s 2022/23 pre-season: fixtures, transfers & expectations
- 2022/23 Sky Bet EFL season: Key dates & facts
- Brazilian legend Dani Alves announces exit from Barcelona