It was a big match up at the Emirates Stadium, two powerhouse English teams up against each other battling out for a birth into the semi finals. Both teams came off wins in the league the weekend before and it looked like it was going to be a very competitive match.
Arsenal got onto the front foot early with alot of possesion and were able to build up well with Liverpool only looking to counter attack, the counter attacks didn’t work and Arsenal scored off a well worked corner Adebayor put a nice header into the net from the 6 yard box(24 min).
Arsenal had the lead at home midway though the 1st half and looked to hold on to it but Liverpool countered straight away only 2 mins after Arsenal scored Gerrard lost a couple of markers ran into the box on the left hand side got a low cross over and Kuyt put it into the net off a Arsenal defender 1-1.The game continued Liverpool were right back in it and creating more chances it was end to end stuff for the rest of the half.
Arsenal made a half time change Robin Van Persie came off he wasn’t 100% fit for Theo Walcott. He had an instant impact creating 3 or 4 chances one a rocket shot just passed the back post keeping Reina honest. Walcott faded though but Arsenal didn’t they continued to have alot of possesion and build 3 quarters of the way up the pitch still unable to find a finsh.
Arsenal really started to dominate winning most of the possesion with Liverpool struggling to get the ball past half way. Arsenal attacked for most of the half and in the 70 min Hleb went for a run beat 2 defenders then D.Kuyt pulled him down in the 18 yard box the referee 5 meters away failed to pay a certain penalty.
Both teams made changes with Nicklas Bendtner coming on in the 67 min for Arsenal and Yossi Benayoun 57 min and Leiva Lucas 75 min.
Arsenal had another really good opertunity with Cese Fabergas trying to poke it in but the Arsenal substitute Nicklas Bendtner got in the away and affectivly saved it off the line.
Arsenal continued on with all the possesion with attack after attack for the last 25 minutes but Liverpool held up well in defence and got a 1-1 result which puts them in front on away goals.
It will be a tough game at Anfield with Arsenal needing to win or keep Liverpool to 1-1 to send it to extra time.
- Premier League Matchday 35 Predictions
- What it’s like supporting a Non-League club
- How Jose Mourinho’s arrival could see Roma’s new owners realise their ambitions
- Arsenal’s future on the line on Thursday
- A History of Fan Protests: From Liverpool to Barcelona
- UK sport backs social media boycott, but not everyone reads the memo
- We need to be loud not silent to end social media abuse
- The Big Six is dead – Long live the Big Five
- Match-fixing: When 7 Manchester United and Liverpool players were handed lifetime bans
- La Liga: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Sevilla in tight, must-watch title race