It was to be the second meeting of these 2 teams in a matter of 4 days. Many changes had been made from the champions league game from both teams but the match was of equal importance. Arsenal needing a win to just keep in touch with Manchester United and Liverpool to almost seal 4th spot.
The start was very much the same as the previous game with Arsenal passing it around alot and Liverpool counter attacking. Liverpool were looking more dangerous on the counter attack this time around and it showed when they scored in the 42nd minute. Reina kicked a long bomb to the foward line Crouch beat the Arsenal defender in the air and headed it to Benayoun. Benayoun flicked the ball back to Crouch and he cut inside and scored from the edge of the box. It was a world class finish.
The half time score was 1-0 with Liverpool in the box seat. Arsenal came out strongly though and capitalized on a free kick with Bendther scoring a header from six yards after running through a pack of players the score was 1-1 but the goal did much more than just level up the scores. Adebayor was warming up before the goal had been scored and it looked like he was coming on for the struggling Bendther. Bendther then scored the goal and Wenger took another player off Hoyte and placed Abebayor on the left of midfield a major mistake.
The game completly changed after this substitution Arsenal started to get right on top but just couldn’t find the goal this may have been for the lack of quaility in the forward line or just superb defending by Liverpool. The game ended 1-1 with a very frustrated manager and a disapointed team the chance of winning the league almost certainly over.
List of the Teams and Full Report Avaliable at http://www.arsenal.com/matchreport.asp?thisNav=&fxid=323046&cpid=703&clid=4421
- Morning Mix: Villa need more from Buendia, honeymoon period over for Benitez
- Top 7 highest goalscorers in El Clasico history
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 9
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: El Clasico Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent following Saudi-led consortium takeover
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 3
- Marseille rise to third with 4-1 win over Lorient
- Morning Mix: Mendy the difference for Chelsea, Bruce criticism is fully justified
- Spain Under-21 men’s football team continue winning streak