Chelsea are reportedly in pole position to secure the services of Bayern Munich’s David Alaba on a free transfer next summer.
According to Spanish outlet AS, the Premier League side plan to meet with the defender’s representatives in January with the goal of signing a pre-contract agreement.
The 28-year-old’s current contract with the Bundesliga giants is set to expire at the end of the campaign after both parties failed to strike a new deal, which means that the Austrian footballer is now free to negotiate with other clubs regarding his future in the next transfer window.
David’s incredible performances in Munich has earned him admiration from some of the top clubs in Europe, with Real Madrid, Juventus and Paris Saint Germain all said to be keen on his services.
Premier League clubs Liverpool and Manchester City have also been credited with an interest in the 28-year-old.
However, as per AS, Frank Lampard’s side are currently leading the transfer race for the experienced defender.
If Chelsea manage to secure the services of the Austrian, then both back-up options Emerson Palmieri and Marcos Alonso could likely be moved on from the London side.
Alaba has seen a hugely successful period at Bayern Munich since first joining its youth set-up in 2008, winning nine Bundesliga titles and two Champions Leagues.
The Austria international has clocked up 257 Bundesliga appearances for the German side, with 21 goals to his name too. He also played the full 90 minutes in the 2020 Champions League final that Bayern won 1-0 against PSG.
David is a versatile footballer who has played several different roles during his time in Bavaria, primarily as a left-back but most recently playing as a centre-back for the Bundesliga champions.
- Marseille rise to second in Ligue 1 with 2-0 win over Rennes
- Tactical Analysis: Tottenham Hotspur’s positive defensive approach against Chelsea
- Morning Mix: Newcastle fans’ anger is justified, Guardiola comments were brainless
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco