Chelsea have today signed 40-year-old Mark Schwarzer after his Fulham contract expired according to the Guardian.co.uk.
The Europa League champions made the move for the goalkeeper for a free transfer as he leaves the Cottagers after five years at the west London club, whom he joined from Middlesbrough in 2008. Schwarzer replaces the outgoing shot stopper Ross Turnball, who is departing on a free transfer.
The Australian international will provide back up for Petr Cech, as well bringing a wealth of experience to the team which will surely benefit the rest of the squad, however his signing may raise a few eyebrows as the Blues have a quality goalkeeper in highly-rated Belgian Thibaut Courtois, whom Jose Mourinho has just sent out on loan to Atletico Madrid – for the third season in a row.
Chelsea are Schwarzer’s fourth club since coming to England in 1996, firstly having a season at Bradford before an eleven year spell with Middlesbrough before moving to Fulham in 2008 on a free transfer, making over 200 appearances in half a decade. Signing a one year contract at Stamford Bridge this evening, Schwarzer said he had been persuaded by Mourinho to join “one of the best clubs in the country.”
Talking to Sky Sports News, he revealed: “I’ve spoken to the manager at Chelsea and it was very easy to make the decision that Chelsea was the right club for me.
“The size and ambition of the club and the opportunities at the club ticked all the boxes. It was an amazing opportunity to join a fantastic club.
“It’s one of the best clubs in the country, if not one of the best clubs in the world, so it was very easy to make the decision after speaking to the manager.”
- World Cup 2022 Predictions
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Romania’s Enes Sali makes international debut at 15-years-old
- November International Break – Preview
- Morning Mix: City dominate woeful United, Palace’s Vieira gamble is paying dividends
- Premier League Weekend Predictions – Matchday 11
- Marseille and Lazio draw in the Europa League
- Europa League Predictions – Matchday 4
- Tactical Analysis: How Tottenham Hotspur might shape up under Antonio Conte
- Champions League Predictions – Matchday 4