Chelsea have today signed 40-year-old Mark Schwarzer after his Fulham contract expired according to the Guardian.co.uk.
The Europa League champions made the move for the goalkeeper for a free transfer as he leaves the Cottagers after five years at the west London club, whom he joined from Middlesbrough in 2008. Schwarzer replaces the outgoing shot stopper Ross Turnball, who is departing on a free transfer.
The Australian international will provide back up for Petr Cech, as well bringing a wealth of experience to the team which will surely benefit the rest of the squad, however his signing may raise a few eyebrows as the Blues have a quality goalkeeper in highly-rated Belgian Thibaut Courtois, whom Jose Mourinho has just sent out on loan to Atletico Madrid – for the third season in a row.
Chelsea are Schwarzer’s fourth club since coming to England in 1996, firstly having a season at Bradford before an eleven year spell with Middlesbrough before moving to Fulham in 2008 on a free transfer, making over 200 appearances in half a decade. Signing a one year contract at Stamford Bridge this evening, Schwarzer said he had been persuaded by Mourinho to join “one of the best clubs in the country.”
Talking to Sky Sports News, he revealed: “I’ve spoken to the manager at Chelsea and it was very easy to make the decision that Chelsea was the right club for me.
“The size and ambition of the club and the opportunities at the club ticked all the boxes. It was an amazing opportunity to join a fantastic club.
“It’s one of the best clubs in the country, if not one of the best clubs in the world, so it was very easy to make the decision after speaking to the manager.”
- England triumph over Croatia at Wembley in opening Euro 2020 group game
- Morning Mix: Eriksen incident reminds us what is important, England manager demonstrates leadership …
- Nuno Espirito Santo close to being appointed as new Everton manager
- Borussia Dortmund turn down Manchester United’s £67m offer for Jadon Sancho
- Euros ’84: Michel Platini – a lead violin in a sophisticated string quartet
- Manchester City not interested in selling Ilkay Gundogan
- Copa America 2021: Schedule, Preview & How to Watch
- Mbappé and Foden to Hložek and Malen: The best young talents to keep an eye on in every side at the …
- David Wagner close to being appointed West Brom manager
- Gareth Southgate getting it right on racism as England manager