Connect with us

Coventry City

Coventry City 0-3 Crewe Alexandra

Well what can I say? The second half just made me feel physically sick, an absolute shambles. It’s not even we played rubbish, we were good just look at the stats. But stats don’t win you games, fair play to Crewe as they took the chances we didn’t. It’s going to be such a tough ask to come back from 3-0 down in the second leg.

On a night where the official attendance was 31,054 (1474 away) which came to be a JPT record outside of the Wembley final, Mark Robins kept the same side that beat Sheffield United on Friday night. It was the home side who dominated the first stages and the first chance fell to Leon Clarke with his shot just flying wide after hitting a first time cross from Carl Baker. Centre back William Edjenguele almost put us in front from a corner the ball fell to him and his shot was saved by Steve Phillips, who was Crewe’s best player in my opinion, even though he did time waste a lot! Franck Moussa then had a shot saved well by the Alex’s keeper. It was all Coventry as Baker again crossed for Stephen Elliot who controlled well and fired a shot towards goal forcing Phillips to pull off a cracking save but it was not over as the loose ball was picked up on the left hand side and the ball came out to Steven Jennings who fired just wide. Crewe finally recorded their first real effort of the game with a cross from the right which came to an unmarked Abdul Osman whose diving header just flew wide. Carl Baker then had a shot just fly wide of Phillips goal, it was the Liverpudian again who caused problems in the Crewe box as his cross was parried away which led to a goal mouth scramble but it was cleared. Coventry ended the half on a high as on the break Steven Jennings raced through but his shot went high over the bar, should of tested the keeper at least. Half time came as 0-0, very good half for the skyblues. Oh how that would change.

Half time substitution from Coventry as keeper Joe Murphy was subbed off for Chris Dunn, let’s just say I blame him for 2 of the goals which he should of saved. The half started like the first with Elliot lashing a shot which took a deflection which brought out a brilliant parried save from Crewe keeper Steve Phillips. Somehow however Crewe were the ones to score! On a breakaway the ball was sent to the right hand side to Byron Moore who looked decent all night to be honest, his pass to the strong Chuks Aneke who played in Bradden Inman to fire into the goal from inside the box. It just typical that Aneke had to be involved, I signed him on Football Manager and he was useless so I sold him after one season, guess he’s shown me. Elliot again was in the firing line as his shot was saved by Phillips with a fantastic parried save, Moussa then going close with a shot just wide after some head tennis from a corner. It wasn’t Coventry day in front of goal as a cross from Leon Clarke bounced off a City player then off a Crewe defender which was destined for goal only for that man in yellow Steve Phillips to make another diving save. Coventry’s next chance did however beat the keeper but not the post as some great build up play sent Baker to fire a low shot towards goal, beating the keeper but smashing off the post. In football however you don’t win games from chances and Crewe took that as they doubled their lead as Inman got his second of the night as he somehow was able to walk through the City backline and firing past Chris Dunn into the bottom corner. The game was stopped just after that as a streaker ran on the pitch which led to City players telling him to get off, refusing Cyrus Christie tripped him over to speed the restart back up, which led to some ugly scene of players pushing the fan away as he squared up to the City right back, funny enough he was booked! Dubious decision! Gary McSheffrey had a free kick just go over for the home side just after that. Both teams made change with Callum Ball and James Bailey coming on for Elliot and McSheffrey whilst goal scorer Inman went off to be replaced by Gregor Robertson for Crewe. The away side made it 3-0 soon after that as Ajay Leitch-Smith fired in a low shot which beat Dunn and send a quite large section of the home support for the exits. Let just say I don’t think they’ll be back for Saturday. Leon Clarke should of scored going into stoppage time as he headed just wide whilst the much bullying Aneke brought out a save from Dunn tipping it over the bar.


That was it for the game; unfortunately we couldn’t cut the deficit for the return leg on the 20th. Going to be such a tough ask for the skyblues but as that much irritating Justin Beiber says “Never say never” Full credit to Crewe though they took the chances, we simply didn’t. Would be brilliant if we could turn it around whilst I’m there but I don’t think we will. MASSIVE game on Saturday though, 7TH vs 8Th. We need to bounce back quickly and hopefully climb into a playoff place, Bring on Yeovil PUSB!

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Coventry City