Connect with us

Coventry City

Coventry City 2-1 Oldham Athletic

What a ending that was!! I love winning a game in stoppage time and what a strike from James Bailey to win it! Think we deserved the win overall, sat back after we scored and they punished us but thankfully we got the 3 points, especially as teams around us games were postponed due to the snow, least we were able to get the game on. With City up to 7th now and all the other teams around them having a few games in hand I’m just hoping we can rely on other teams to slip up, would make me feel much better!

On a very snowy and cold day in Coventry boss Mark Robins made one change with James Bailey coming in for Franck Moussa and it was the home side that nearly broke the deadlock in the first minute as a John Fleck corner was spilt by Dean Bouzanis in the Oldham goal with Richard Wood pouncing at the mistake with a poke at goal but the keeper recovered and kept cool in catching it. The away side went down the other end and from a corner almost scored as well, Lee Croft floated the ball in and Joe Murphy was scrambling to punch it off his line, Murphy was a big target from Oldham’s corner through the game. It was City who controlled the match and Fleck had a long range effort saved and straight after that as an own goal nearly occurred as a cross from the left was flicked on by a Oldham player only for it to go straight to Bouzanis, a very good interception as it would have been a tap in for Leon Clarke. It was Oldham who tried their luck next as Matt Smith somehow went through on goal and Murphy made a good save to stop the tall striker who was booked shortly after for some persistent fouling on William Edjenguele. Jose Baxter went close from a free kick but it was held well by Irishman Murphy. Both Coventry City fullbacks were getting forward and right back Cyrus Christie almost got his 3rd ever professional goal for the club as on the counter James Bailey sent through Christie and the defender produced a good save from Bouzanis with his feet after a decent strike by the youngster. The Latics keeper was forced into an even better save soon after, this time Fleck long range effort was curling into the top corner only for Bouzanis to produce a one handed save tipping it over for a corner. The last chance of the half fell to Gary McSheffrey, after some good work down the left in Blair Adams who has now signed a permanent deal! J Anyway the ball fell to McSheffrey who smash high over the bar and brought the half to a close. Not sure how we didn’t score!

The second half started like the same with Bailey firing a early shot across goal and wide. The home defenced was left stretched as former Coventry player Robbie Simpson snuck past the defence and ran towards goal only for Murphy to make himself big and save well with his feet, he also had a long range effort just go wide soon after that. Coventry boss Robins could see that it wasn’t working and made to substitute bringing on Stephen Elliot and Franck Moussa for Steven Jennings and John Fleck. Another free kick was aimed at the North stand this time McSheffrey firing low just wide of the post, with Jean Yves Mvoto being booked for the foul before it was took. McSheffrey was involved in City’s opener as his cross bounced for substitute Stephen Elliot to head home and give the skyblues the lead. McSheffrey nearly got on the score sheet himself but his low shot was very poor and Bouzanis collected. Oldham made their first substitution with Robbie Simpson who got some claps from the home fans going off for Daniel Taylor; it was Taylor who had the away side best chance as on the break again he forced a great diving save from Murphy to keep it out and sending it for a corner. Coventry thought they doubled the lead as a corner floated in by Carl Baker which was headed back in by a very quiet Leon Clarke which was headed towards goal by Elliot but somehow Bouzanis kept it out. The Latics made their final substitutions with Connor Brown and Chris Sutherland coming on for David Mellor and Lee Croft. The final card of the game was a hat trick for the away side, this time Jonathan Grounds being booked for a very late tackle on a breaking Baker. Richard Wood came close from a corner, a free header looping towards Bouzanis goal with the keeper tipping it over. Gary McSheffrey was replaced by Connor Thomas just before the resulting corner. Even though the home side had the chances in the second half they did sit back a bit and Oldham equalised in the 88th minute through Matt Smith as he headed home from a Jose Baxter corner to send 380 away fans into sheer delight, didn’t look like they had that many in all honesty! I knew they score from a corner as Murphy had been under pressure all game from them. The attendance was 10,108 for today’s game, not a bad effort due to the weather and all that, well considering Leicester got 8,585 I don’t think it was too bad of an effort. Four minutes of stoppage time went up and I’m not going to lie I didn’t see a winner coming, but thankfully I was wrong!  On the breakaway a cross by Baker into the left hand side was cleared only to Moussa who played it to Bailey and he unleashed a cracking strike into the top right corner giving Bouzanis no chance. Most of the time I catch the seat with the back of my leg, not this time. I think most of the people around me thought I was mad, with my row being clear I started to run up and down my row fist pumping in the air. Sorry but you got to go mental at injury time goals! JJ

That was it! Talk about winning it at the death, very relieved to get the win in the end. Deserved the points but we were let off in my opinion. Oh well, brilliant win and roll on Preston Saturday! Mark Robins sky blue army! PUSB



Love last minute winners!

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Coventry City