Connect with us

Coventry City

Coventry City 1-0 Tranmere Rovers

Well the second half was nerve racking!  Don’t get me wrong it’s a brilliant win against top of the table who disappointed me a bit but the second half was very frightening to watch especially the two goal mouth scrambles they had. After a disappointing loss away to Carlisle I wasn’t really confident about pulling off a result but fair play to the players they were very good.

On a very cold and icy night in Coventry, Mark Robins made one change with Cyrus Christie coming in for Jordan Clarke. It must have been icy as on the way up I slipped over, thankfully nobody was around!!! The game started off with the home side having all the possession and they created the first chance of the half with Gary McSheffrey cutting inside and just shooting wide. Soon after that they created the next chance with some lovely play between Christie and Carl Baker which led to Christie firing towards Owain Fon Williams goal with the keeper spilling it out for a corner. The home side were ahead deservedly as from a Baker corner Richard Wood headed back towards goal and Leon Clarke was there to fire home from close range. Straight after the goal Tranmere made the first chance on goal but it was high over the bar from Zoumana Bakayogo who was later booked along with Danny Holmes in the second half. Coventry could of doubled the lead through Clarke again as a Baker cross was headed into the ground by the centre forward but the power was took away from it which made it for  Fon Williams in goal. That was it for the first half, a very poor showing from the away side but a crowd of 9668 with 487 coming down from Merseyside, good effort on a Tuesday night in all honesty!

Onto the second half, unfortunately we did what I fear we would, sit back and not finish the game off! If we were more clinical in front of goal then we could have battered them! The away side brought the early pressure as a Coventry body had to block a brilliant volley which flew over the bar, think it was ending for the back of the net without that vital block. Coventry woke up after that as some good play between Clarke and Baker who set Franck Moussa up to fire just wide; Steven Jennings went even closer straight after that as a nice one to play set the little man who doesn’t really crack shots off to smash a volley inside the area into the side netting. From another set piece City nearly scored again as from another Richard Wood header back but this time Gary McSheffrey’s close range shot fell into Fon Williams hands. Both sides made substitutions half way through the second half with Coventry bringing on Stephen Elliot and Connor Thomas for Franck Moussa and John Fleck, the away side trying to change it with Cole Stockton, Adam McGurk and Abdulai Bell-Baggie coming on for Danny Harrison, Michael O’Halloran and David Amoo. With the changes it was still City who carved out the chances as a McSheffrey free kick was parried away by a busy Fon Williams. It was his opposite opponent who made the best save of the match as he parried a spilt shot out for a corner and from that corner a diving header was kept out by Joe Murphy and after some frantic moments which every player was battling for the ball but thankfully it was cleared. The away side was dominating all the possession but it was City who had the next attack as from another free kick this time Baker who brought out a save by Fon Williams who grasped it well. He almost scored again as a brilliant take down and turn from the Scouser let to a low shot being fired in but it flew wide. Murphy made an even better  world class save as a unmarked Bakayogo header was destined for the net but the Irishman somehow kept it out and it went behind for a goal kick, thought it should have been a corner but I wasn’t complaining! City could have killed the game off late on as a lovely move by Blair Adams who hopefully we will sign on a permanent tomorrow, the on loan left back turned a Rovers player and some passing between him, McSheffrey and Elliot set the striker to strike a low shot which Fon Williams got down well to keep out. That was it for real cut chances, four minutes of added time went up and a last minute free kick was fired straight into the Coventry wall and that was it. Happy with the win and hopefully we can start another run off. Poor performance in all honesty by Tranmere, revenge from the previous meeting early in the season! Bring on Oldham at home Saturday! Well if the weather doesn’t get in the way! PUSB

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Coventry City