Pompey are reportedly set to swoop for Tottenham forward Giovani Dos Santos in the January transfer window, as Ali Al Faraj is set to fund ‘three top signings’.
Dos Santos was set to join Portsmouth in the previous January transfer window, yet a failed fitness test put off the Blues from paying a reported £4.1m and thus completing the deal.
The 20-year-old is a reported target of new director-of-football Avram Grant, who is yet to work a full day at the club, due to the sudden death of his father.
The Mexican is currently injured after picking up a niggle in a recent Carling Cup bout – but already finds himself down the pecking order in Harry Redknapp’s firing line.
Spanish club Deportivo La Coruna are also reportedly said to be interested in the former Barca star.
Pompey would have to pay for the services of Dos Santos, if O’Hara were to remain on loan for the rest of the season. League rules dictate that no club is allowed two players from another, both on a loan basis.
Despite arriving to Spurs with much media attention, Dos Santos has been unfortunate in suffering from a number of short-term injuries. He has failed to establish a place in a strong Spurs’ side, with Redknapp prepared to let him go to fund his own transfer needs.
Dos Santos recently enjoyed a three-month loan spell to Championship side Ipswich, towards the end of the 08/09 season. He played eight teams, scoring four goals, and became a firm fans’ favourite.
Interestingly, Dos Santos is represented by the infamous agent, Pini Zahavi. Zahavi is said to hold strong links with the club, with rumours suggesting Zahavi influenced the Al Faraj bros. to buy Pompey.
Is this a case where football agents are now dictating who the club buys?
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 5: Preview & Predictions
- 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow snatch late point against Marseille
- Europa League 2021: Matchday 1 Predictions
- Champions League Preview: Liverpool vs AC Milan
- The 2021/22 Football Betting Guide
- Morning Mix: Jury still out on Southgate, Drury nails Ronaldo return
- Marseille impress in 2-0 win over Monaco
- 2021/22 Premier League Matchday 4: Preview & Predictions
- Morning Mix: Salah is living in fantasy land, Niguez signing boosts Chelsea’s title hopes
- Football Today: Games to Watch on September 4, 2021